59th Australian Latvian Arts Festival Film Competition
Terms & Conditions
59th Australian Latvian Arts Festival Pty Ltd ACN 660 287 767 (“AL59KD”) is encouraging the creation of specially produced films which embody the theme “Together” (in Latvian “kopā”). AL59KD therefore announces the AL59KD Film Competition. The following terms and conditions apply to the competition.
The competition is open to entries from anyone, except AL59KD committee members.
If an entrant is under the age of 18 years on 31 December 2023, the parent or legal guardian of the entrant must consent, and agree to the competition terms.
There are two categories for the Film Competition.
The General category is open to all persons, including those under 18 years of age.
The Youth category is open to persons under the age of 18 years on 31 December 2023.
In these competition terms an entry may be a film or any other audio visual recording or a computer program, and an entry is defined as a “Film”.
A Film for the competition may be submitted from 12 November 2023 until 10 December 2023.
AL59KD may, in its discretion consider any Film submitted outside this period.
AL59KD may in its discretion change the dates for submission of entries, and publish such decision as it sees fit.
An entrant may submit multiple entries. Each entry must be submitted separately.
A Film may only be submitted in one category.
The entrant is responsible for any and all costs and expenses in respect of the production, clearing, submission and exhibition and other use or reproduction of the Film and the delivery materials for the Film.
The AUD$20 entry fee for the General category and a AUD$5 entry fee for the Youth category, per Film, must be paid before or at the time an entry is submitted.
All entries must be submitted in accordance with these competition terms. AL59KD may, in its discretion accept entries that do not conform with the delivery requirements set out in these competition terms.
Film guidelines and delivery requirements
The Film Competition theme is “Together” (in Latvian “kopā”). The Film should embody this theme.
The run time of the Film must be between 30 and 360 seconds (not including title and credits).
The genre of the Film is unrestricted. Some examples include action, comedy, horror, drama, documentary, parody, music video or animation.
The Film may be in any language, including Latvian or English. All Films must have subtitles in English.
The Film must be produced after 1 January 2023.
The Film must not have been previously publicly or privately, theatrically or non-theatrically exhibited.
The following delivery materials are required:
a. The completed Entry Form, signed by the entrant and the parent or legal guardian of the entrant (if applicable);
b. Entries must be submitted as MOV or MP4 files, with a minimum resolution of 1920 x 1080p
c. A synopsis of the Film of not more than 200 words, in Latvian and/or English;
d. A brief biography of the entrant, of not more than 200 words, in Latvian and/or English;
e. A quality photograph of the entrant (minumum image specification 5MB JPG or JPEG only);
f. A quality thumbnail representing the Film and up to three still photographs from the Film (minumum image specification 5MB JPG or JPEG only);
g. Details of any restrictions applicable to the exhibition of the Film or adaptation, use or reproduction of any of the delivery materials (if any);
h. Details of any commercial sponsorship or endorsement of or to the Film (if any); and
i. Particulars of social media handles for the Film (if any).
8. Upon submission property in and to the delivery materials for the Film passes to AL59KD. The delivery materials for the Film will not be returned to the entrant, but AL59KD may in its discretion do so.
1. It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to:
a. secure all necessary permission from each contributor to the Film or the underlying works in the Film, and the rights holders of all and any copyright or trademark content or materials included in the Film, including necessary consents and waivers of all and any moral rights applicable to the Film and delivery materials to use, reproduce and exhibit the same;
b. clear all content within the Film and delivery materials from all and any actual or potential legal claims and issues, including without limitation, claims based on theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, theft of trade secrets, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationship, and breach of any express or implied contract or other arrangement (“Third Party Claims”);
c. ensure that all persons appearing in the Film have supplied their consent to their performance being in the Film and to the use of their name, image and likeness in or in respect of the Film, and to the public or private, theatrical or non-theatrical exhibition of the Film;
d. ensure that the entrant has the right to use all and any music, and the recording of such music, used or embodied in the Film in the Film for all purposes whatsoever associated with the Film.
2. AL59KD will not be held responsible for any inclusion in the Film of:
a. any copyright or trademark content or other materials or any other content that are, or may be, or become, the basis for any Third Party Claim, whatsoever;
b. any failure by the entrant to obtain all and any necessary licences, consents or rights necessary or desirable for the the public or private, theatrical or non-theatrical exhibition of the Film, or the adaptation, use and reproduction of any of the delivery materials of the Film by AL59KD.
1. The entrant warrants and represents to AL59KD that:
a. the Film (including recording, photography, production and editing) and the other delivery materials of the Film is their own original work and creation, and that the Film (including each and every part and parts) and the other delivery materials of the Film has not been copied from any other person (except where the entrant has obtained and holds the copyright or an appropriate licence in such other material), and that the entrant is the photographer or copyright owner of the photographs in the delivery materials, and that the use or reproduction of the Film, including by way of public or private, theatrical or non-theatrical exhibition of the Film, or the adaptation, use and reproduction of any of the delivery materials of the Film by AL59KD, does not infringe the intellectual property or any other rights of any other person or entity;
b. the entrant holds all of the rights necessary to have fully and completely complied with each and every requirement of the entrant as particularised under “Other requirements”, above;
c. without limiting the generality of the above, the entrant warrants and represents that the Film does not include any defamatory, offensive or unlawful content.
2. The entrant retains all copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Film and the delivery materials submitted as part of this competition. The entrant does, however, from the time of the entry grant to AL59KD a non-exclusive, royalty free, freely sublicenseable, perpetual licence to adapt, modify, combine with other content, copy, record, synchronise, transmit, translate, format, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform by way of public or private, theatrical or non-theatrical exhibition of the Film, or the adapt, use and reproduce of any of the delivery materials of the Film by AL59KD, and if necessary the entrant waives the entrant’s moral rights (or if a waiver is ineffective, consents as required) to enable AL59KD to do these things.
3. The entrant agrees and authorises AL59KD to use their name, image or likeness in connection with the publicity for events in and at the 59th Australian Latvian Arts Festival relating to the Film Competition and the exhibition of the Film and other Films submitted to AL59KD.
4. The entrant agrees to hold-back any public performance of the Film by way of public or private, theatrical or non-theatrical exhibition of the Film until 31 January 2024.
5. The entrant is responsible for any repeat and residual amounts (if any) in respect of the use of the Film, and any payment required for the use of copyright material, including music, included in the Film or the delivery materials.
6. For the avoidance of any misunderstanding, AL59KD and any successor or assign will retain the licence to the Film and delivery materials for the Film in perpretuity, that is to say after 31 January 2024. 7. The entrant, and the parent or legal guardian of the entrant (if applicable) hereby indemnify and agree to keep indemnified AL59KD from and against all and any claims and demands made against AL59KD or any of its officers, employees or volunteers, or any assignee or licensee of AL59KD, and any loss, cost or expense that they or any one or more of them may suffer, sustain or incur in relation to the warranties, representations and promises made by the entrant and the parent or legal guardian of the entrant (if applicable) in these competition terms.
Determination of winner and prize
The competition will be judged by a panel of judges selected by AL59KD. Their decisions (which will be final) will be announced by AL59KD when AL59KD determines.
Entries will be judged in accordance with the judging criteria, and other criteria that AL59KD may at any time and from time to time determine.
Prizes for the categories are:
a. General category: AUD$700 for 1st place; AUD$350 for 2nd place; and AUD$150 for 3rd place
b. Youth category: AUD$200 for 1st place, AUD$100 for 2nd place, AUD$50 for 3rd place
AL59KD may, in its discretion, obtain sponsors or endorsements for one or more of the Prizes, and attach naming rights to a Prize, and any fee or reward paid by the sponsor, or for these sponsorship or endorsement rights, is the property of AL59KD.
AL59KD is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or otherwise unusable entries, including entries that are lost or unusable due to computer, internet, or electronic problems. Proof of sending will not be considered proof of receipt.
AL59KD reserves the right to cancel or modify the competition and award prizes by alternate means.
AL59KD reserves the right to alter these competition terms without notice. These terms are not confirmed to govern Film Competitions in any future Australian Latvian Arts Festival.
AL59KD is not liable for any loss, damage or injury caused to an entrant as a result of their entry into this competition, or for any lost opportunity or reputational or other loss or damage.
AL59KD may disqualify any entrants or decline to consider any Film in the discretion of AL59KD, and need not give any reason for any such decision.
By submitting an entry the entrant and the parent or legal guardian of the entrant (if applicable) acknowledges that they have read and understood the competition terms. Each entrant and the parent or legal guardian of the entrant (if applicable) accepts, and is deemed to have accepted these competition terms, and agrees to be bound by the competition terms by submitting an entry into the Film Competition.
The following matters may be considered by the panel of judges appointed by AL59KD when assessing the Film, although these are not exhaustive, nor complete, and there may be other criteria that AL59KD may at any time and from time to time determine.
The film conveys an idea (s) and purpose to the audience. Any dialogue is well written.
Use of genre
A genre/style is made clear and stays consistent throughout the film. (even if the genre is abstract/unorthodox)
Artistic and visual appeal
The film uses effective shots and cinematography to convey messages about the character/storyline. Shots have appropriate lighting.
The film shows imagination and creativity (costume, set design, props etc). There is thoughtfulness to the style and mood that suits the film.
The concept/idea of the film is original.
Scenes flow smoothly from one to another. Style of script, music, visual elements, and cinematography stay consistent throughout the film.
Transitions and effects are used effectively with smooth blends between scenes. Visual post production elements are well put together. Colour grading suits the film.
Audio is balanced between dialogue, music, and sound effects. Audio is clear throughout the film.